PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Best passenger..."
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2003, 22:22
strake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flapsforty

Well, I think this is a bit off the original thread but, since you ask....
Ummm... I don't think I said the other drills were "useless" but I admit that I believe the ditching/demo drills are really wishful thinking. They were originally used when flying boats were the favourite method of transport. Despite what people think, a flying boat or seaplane can't just set down in any old sea condition...it has to be reasonably calm but, a ditching was thought to be survivable and probably was....
So what qualifications do I have to support my thoughts?
Well, as a Private Pilot who flys across water in a Single Engine a/c regularly, a few years ago I did "Dunker" survival training in Southampton. You have probably done the same as CC?
If you did, you will know that it all looks quite fun from the poolside but, when you're in the thing it's a very different experience....and that's in calm warm water. I am also a scuba diving instructor. Now we don't dive in "heavy" seas but we do dive in large "swells". As I've floated in the water after a dive waiting to be picked-up, I've often mused on whether I could ditch my light A/C safely in such conditions....I have to say I have not been confident...! Now imagine a 747-400 or 777. Even with a tail first ditching technique the deceleration from , let's say 100kts, is going to be massive especially when the engines "dig-in". Add complete and utter fear for self and family, shock, disbelief and an a/c that has probably broken apart on landing, possibly freezing cold water at night.....and so on.
Having said all that, I think there probably is a point to the demo if it helps to save just one life and it's only 5 mins anyway!
I suppose my point really is that to show it all as a pleasant little stroll through the a/c is deception. But, then again, given the statisical chance of ditching,maybe it's best if the majority of the travelling public just don't know....
If you really want to frighten yourself about surviveability, read GA Safety Sense Leaflet 21A from the CAA website. It's all about ditching Light a/c.