PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should Average Pilot Experience Levels Of Each Airline Be Public?
Old 11th May 2014, 23:08
Pablo_Diablo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair pilots are trained to good standards, but so are many other airlines as well. The issue with inexperience though in my book if something goes wrong is you are less likely to perform as well as somebody having more experience. The more you do do something , anything, the actual skill gradually gets transferred from the one part of the memory to the motor memory and once there it enables you to free capacity and focus on other things while flying. Improving decision making as you donīt have to think so much of the actual flying, whilst still flying to good standards.

Of course there are ways airlines can try and mitigate lack of experience and one of them is to implement procedure instead micromanaging, for the inexperienced to learn by rote and apply live if needed. But to me it is still not the same.

To me itīs a function of capacity, ability and experience. Ability and capacity increase with experience so there is no shortcuts.

Of course with experience comes complacency, not doing the right thing, despite knowing better, but that is another issue.