PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VLJ's
Thread: VLJ's
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2014, 18:57
jdeakin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After retiring from JAL, I took a job on a Gulfstream IV owned by one of the 250 richest men in the world. He was, I think, the largest single investor in Eclipse, and we ended up taking delivery on two of them. Ever the sucker, I said "Sure" when he asked me if I'd like to fly them, so I went through the factory training, got the type rating, and also flew the delivery flights on both airplanes, and put in about 120 hours on both - until a minor stroke grounded me.

When everything worked, it was a delight to fly, although not a rocket. Coming up from Cabo (Mexico) to Nogales (Arizona), I had a full load, 5+1 (Three kids and a light woman) at FL370, doing 370 KTAS, burning 60 GPH (265 LPH). Lovely day, glassy smooth, towering Cu here and there, radar showing them all, I recall thinking for all it's problems, it's a damn nice little airplane. No, it's not a GIV, but for a Bonanza pilot, not shabby at all.

And there were problems, sadly. I gently tried to warn the boss a few times, but he was firmly behind Raburn and his hype, and brushed off my concerns.

George Braly (Aero Engineer) did some napkin calcs very early on, and said that as originally equipped (Williams engine) it wouldn't come close to meeting any goals. His numbers were dead on, Raburn's were not.

The re-engine project nearly killed the deal, because they had to damn near re-design the whole airplane for the bigger, heavier engine, and more fuel. FAA played a large part, because they HAD to come in at 6,000 pounds gross, or jump to the transport category - which would have killed it.

About 265 made and delivered, with a long waiting list. Many owners are thoroughly satisfied, and rave about the airplane, but they tend to be on the quiet side. A few owners (and those who got skunked) are much more outspoken, and they've got reason to be.

In the end, Raburn rushed it to market before it was close to ready, because he could see the end coming if he didn't. The end came anyway. Woefully deficient on flight equipment and autopilot functions, many very serious and unpredictable "glitches," the list is long.

I will say, they did some good things in training. I don't think there's ever been a fatal crash, which is remarkable, considering the hours. A couple of hull losses, due to runway excursions, which was predictable, considering the lack of anti-skid.

It would have been a hell of an airplane with a different engine at the beginning, and if they'd chosen wisely on the panel (which required a whole redesign itself). If, if, if, if. <Sigh>

John Deakin