PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2014, 12:16
mcbenny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIG Decision Time!!!

Hi everybody!
As the title of my post says, it's time for me to make a decision about my future.
I'm almost 37 years old, I live in NE of Italy and I've been working as a truck driver for the past 7 years in order to save enough money to allow me to self-fund my modular training with enough cash to spare for any additional training that might be required during the ATPL phase and also taking into account the possibility of a type rating.
I'm single with the freedom to do whatever I want, self-funding myself so no need for bank loans or asking money to parents or relatives (even though the first ones unfortunately cannot be of any financial aid but for accomodation, and I would ask for help to the second ones only as a "last-ditch resort").
I had my Initial Class 1 at Gatwick back in 2005 and successfully revalidated it in 2011 so the Medical side of the whole process is OK!
Back then I'd have signed with my own blood to start my training but money was THE issue. Trucking seemed to be the perfect solution. I was determined in gaining my truck driving licences and lucky in finding a well-paid job with a big company (after 2 successfull interviews which unfortunately led to nothing!). Happy with my job even though (yes, you guess it!) I have no social life, living on the truck basically the whole week and often spending the weekend abroad.
So after all this effort, all these sacrifices, after climbing on top of this "big financial mountain" I'm finally in the position of quitting my job and starting my training.
I'm opting for the modular route for quite a lot of reasons and doing it full-time. Pretty "standard route" for that: PPL in USA, Groundschool with Bristol, back in the USA for hour building, then UK again for ME-CPL, IR and MCC (with the possible addition of a JOC).
As I stated earlier, being free to do and go wherever I want would allow me to accept any job anywhere.
I'm actually very happy about the way I've planned both the financial side of my training and the training itself, as I think I'm really doing things properly and carefully.
Still, it's a HUGE decision on my shoulders.
Leaving a fixed-term job in the current economical situation looks like hazardous to say the least even though holding a truck driver licence can be regarded as "some kind of a parachute", it's a good B-plan.
I do not take for granted that I'll get my licences, I know it's a lot of hard work and moreover I've been clearly out of the studying habit for the past 10+ years so it's gonna be quite a struggle at the beginning.
Finding myself aged 40+ with a frozen ATPL and no job at all...well, not the best of feelings I have to say!
At the same time, I recon this is the last chance, it's "now or never". It's a pivotal point of my life. After this ride, this struggle it'd be a "crime" not to give a shot at it; it's something I'd regret it when I'm an old man looking back at his life. My heart says "go for it!!", my brain says "wait a minute, this is a risky move".
I know, in the end, it all comes down to my own decision but if any of You guys would have something to say, pieces of advice, words of wisdom from lived experiences, that would be MUCH appreciated!