PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2014, 11:53
Adrian N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly - and hopefully - you are right, and none of the 58 pilots who died when they could have saved themselves were influenced by reading that people who use CAPS should have been able to recover without it. But psychological research into priming for certain behaviours suggests that the risk exists, even for people who don't need to get out more.

Do you have some examples of CAPS pulls which are "almost a knee jerk, rather than suss out the issue, and if I can, land it"? There might be one, but I don't know of it. There are, however, lots of examples of Cirrus pilots trying to "suss out the issue", then dying in the crash - using CAPS long after it could possibly save them, or just crashing without trying to use it.

I agree with you fully about training, and it's impossible to dispute that lots of Cirrus pilots have got into trouble flying into situations that they should either have avoided, or been able to cope with. But sadly the same is true of pilots of any other aircraft - just for them and their passengers, the penalty is often death.