PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAL 331 Kingston final report
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2014, 02:51
Mozella

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll put my head on the chopping block, that if this accident occurred anywhere in the USA, under similar circumstances, that Captain would be working as a greeter at Walmart. But....mysteriously he's back on the line. Guess I have a chip on my shoulder for finding that a bit...odd.
Not odd at all. These guys are represented by a powerful union. Almost nobody gets fired and they certainly wouldn't have been fired had this accident happened in the U.S.

However, after reading between the lines, it might be a bit more accurate to say that the Captain is represented by a powerful union and the F/O pays his dues in hopes that some day he too will become a caption and enjoy that same high level of representation. This wouldn't be the first time that an F/O got thrown under the bus in a hearing. I logged a lot of time in the right seat before I moved over and whenever some captain tried doing something a bit sketchy I always thought to myself, "How is this going to sound when I have to explain it in a hearing?". On more than one occasion that prompted me to express my disagreement with the actions of the caption. I have never been afraid to die, but I never wanted to look bad, if you get what I mean. As of this moment, I've never used the evacuation check list and I never had to go to a hearing either.

Perhaps the F/O in this instance should have thought ahead to what he was going to say in his hearing and, equally as important, what the captain was going to say.

Last edited by Mozella; 11th May 2014 at 03:02.