PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loading 44G drums into a c208
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2014, 19:52
Tinstaafl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This might work and be lightweight. I got the idea from something similar I saw used in the Army Reserve years ago:

Use a couple of ramps (aluminium probably. The sort that are used to load trailers & utes) and a ratchet with long cargo strap. Attach the ratcheted end of strap to a convenient cargo tie down opposite the door (you could spread the load & use more than one cargo tie down point if needed by using a bridle), and the free end to a x-bar at the top of the ramp. That will form a loop. At max length the loop needs to be long enough to go from the top of the ramp around drum that is on its side at the bottom of the ramp and back to the ratchet.

The strap is laid out down from the x-bar parallel to the ramps, under the drum, over the top and then to the ratchet inside the aeroplane.

Tightening the ratchet should roll the drum up the ramp. You will need some bodies to steer & guide the drum but the ratchet should take the load.

A caveat though: I can't remember if there was a ring or pad that slipped around the drum that acted like a bearing so the strap didn't slide or crush the drum.