PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inappropriate trophy photos
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2014, 18:44
melmothtw

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts
Those who think a photo of a dying British soldier being given the last rites by a priest has the same moral equivalence as that of a British (or whatever nationality) soldier gloating over the dead body of an enemy combatant don't get the point.

Those who think that celebrating a successful combat mission with a thumbs-up on the return to your ship, or by raising the Jolly Roger on return to your home port is the same as gloating over the dead body of an enemy combatant don't get the point either.

The issue here isn't the posting of a picture of a dead body, or of a picture of servicemen celebrating a successful mission, the issue (and the only one) is of serving British soldiers gloating over the carcass of a dead human being (not a dog, as one poster referred to them as).

I think most folks here actually do get that (as evidenced by that raft of strange and rather bizarre alternative explanations coming forward as to what the thumbs-up might actually mean - why come up with alternative explanations if giving a thumbs-up over a corpse is ok?)

Anyhow, I've said all I have to say on the subject, and as some folks agree with me and some clearly don't, I'll leave it there. I've read that the internet is good for two things - looking at pictures of cats and arguing with strangers. I don't want to spend my Saturday night arguing with strangers, so am going to look at some photos of cats....