PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reports of a light aircraft down in Blue Mountains
Old 10th May 2014, 13:34
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultralights - Many people have survived falls where the forces on the body exceeded 150G and even 200G. It all depends on what you land on, how you land, and if anything is there to break your fall. See the "case studies" in the link below.

Mechanical analysis of survival in falls from heights of fifty to one hundred and fifty feet -- De Haven 6 (1): 62 -- Injury Prevention

Remember the rear gunner who fell out of an aircraft without a parachute at 18,000' during WW2 and landed in pine trees and snowdrift, and survived with only a broken ankle??

Nicholas Alkemade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In other cases, people have suffered brain damage and died merely from falling over and hitting their head on solid pavement - or died from balcony falls as small as 10'.

I was forced to jump out of a tree from 13' up as a 10 yr old, and I'm still here to tell you about it. In fact, I never even suffered any jarring - and not even a scratch.

These blokes in the Cirrus had powerlines and trees to break their fall, and they were sitting in comfortable seats. Any physical damage they may have incurred would more than likely have been through getting thrown about inside the cabin as they touched down in a pretty uneven manner.

The media stated only one pax was transported to hospital "for observation" - thus indicating some possible concussion.