PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What type of flying do people do after their PPL?
Old 10th May 2014, 10:22
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only got into powered for one thing and that was to go places. I came to it three years ago after decades as a glider pilot, so it had to offer me something that gliding didn't and that was the ability to fill the plane with mates and have a day or few days out. I did my night and IMC as soon as I'd done the PPL as I wanted to be well armoured just in case. As it turned out I actually enjoy instrument flying greatly so that was a surprise. If I had the sponds I would do a full IR, not that it would be much use with the flying I do but just for the experience.

So it's exploring new places that floats my boat flying powered. I've clocked up 250 hrs, four countries and around fifty airfields in the last three years, not that it's a competition but they do start to build up after a while. There are some very helpful threads on here regarding nice places to visit which for me usually means a grass strip with a pub nearby! I have a list of 'keepers' which are places that I've revisited several times.

As for costs I've spent about 16K if you take off the cost sharing contributions. That includes the instructional flights and what have you. I gave myself 10K in a lump sum to do all of the licensing stuff-it actually cost quite a bit less by the time I'd finished- then I budget £300 a month, so I'm quite a bit in credit at the moment for when I fancy that solo trip to Timbuktoo. I'm very lucky in that I have lots of semi or fully retired friends who love flying and will go at the drop of the hat. Cost sharing this way makes flying affordable, plus I much prefer having company in the aircraft and sharing the experience. I reckon I pay between thirty and forty quid an hour for rental overall.

As for aeros I've done them in gliders and powered just doesn't do it for me. It's all about energy conservation in a glider, less so in powered. Unless you're Bob Hoover.... But each to their own.

500 ft makes some very valid points and I'm sure that we can all recognise ourselves in his post. However there's more to flying than flying. I've been involved in aviation for 40 years this coming week and it's something that get's into your blood. It's not something that you do, it's what you are.

Ther's nothing on the planet, to me at any rate, as good as sitting on a grass strip on a summer's day surrounded by vintage aircraft and cars, the smell of freshly mown grass, the smell of the cockpit on a warm day, the faint whiff of avgas and oil, a picnic under the wing and of course most importantly, the company of like minded people.

Best of luck and my advice for what it's worth would be to try everything mentioned and see what you are attracted to. It's a wallet emptying experience so make sure you decide well!!

Last edited by thing; 10th May 2014 at 10:38.