PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inappropriate trophy photos
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2014, 09:25
melmothtw

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts
There is nothing new in photographs of dead enemies. This was happening a hundred years ago:
No one is arguing that these soldiers were the first to take such images. the argument revolves around whether it is right or not. There was a lot of reprehensible stuff going on hundreds of years ago, but I'd have hoped we'd be just a little more civilised in the 21st century.

I am astounded at the vitriol and denial your response has generated.
Sadly, I'm not Two's in. Much the same thing happened in the thread about the Royal Marine executing a Taliban prisoner. Like I said, I understand people's need to justify such actions - we're the good guys after all, right?

In neither published picture is the body being touched or degraded in any way
Well, so long as you'd be happy with your loved one being treated in such a way, then I guess there's no problem here.

Tourist, I agree that there are many grey areas when it comes to morality in the conduct in war, but can we not agree that taking trophy photographs of dead enemy combatants is just plain wrong?

Kneeling in position when someone asks "have you checked that body" turns to say yes with a thumbs up as photo taken. No case to answer - move along.
I think my comment to Roland earlier about there being none more blind than those who choose not to see applies here.

Well in that case we'll just have to appeal to the shadow Taliban government for a thorough and comprehensive investigation into possible Taliban war crimes. Oh really, we can't do such a thing? I wonder why not...?
We're the good guys here, right. We really shouldn't be employing Taliban-standards of behaviour in how we conduct ourselves.

The crime, if there is one, lies with the photographer who recorded the event and subsequently sold the pictures to the media sharks to exploit
The usual Pprune refrain - blame the media. It would be too easy to talk about shooting the messenger, so I won't.