PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The people's portrait
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2014, 09:22
Brewers Droop

Another vote from me

Simon Weston is an inspirational character who fully deserves such recognition.

I think my admiration comes in three main areas. Firstly, I am inspired by the spirit of a fellow comrade and professional in dealing with the reality and personal horror of war with honour, humility and courage. Secondly, Simon has done more to represent the vulnerable in society, particularly in the area of disfigurement (Changing Faces, BlondMcIndoe, Healing Foundation etc). At the same time challenging and even changing our stereotypes within society for the better. And finally as a human being – like many I am part of a generation that as a youngster watched the Falklands War and the subsequent horror of Simon’s demise on TV. I then spent my informative years and subsequent military career watching this inspirational character pick himself up, overcome adversity and then use his experience to help and inspire others. A true role model.

The Gov website says a knighthood is “awarded for having a major contribution in any activity, usually at national level. Other people working in the nominee’s area will see their contribution as inspirational and significant, requiring commitment over a long period of time”. Sounds like Simon to me...

Finally, if not already highlighted, I'd recommend the following short relativelly recent Interview BBC News - Simon Weston voted Britain's most heroic figure