PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What type of flying do people do after their PPL?
Old 9th May 2014, 17:24
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends what floats your boat. I am one of those tailwheel / aeros old farts 500feet refers to and that floats mine. I did my PPL in 1978/9 and was disillusioned with poor-handling club aircraft (spam cans) to the point of thinking seriously of jacking it in after qualification. It was like driving a Vauxhall Viva - I wanted and expected a Lotus 7!

Luckily a wise CFI introduced a bunch of us to a dH Chipmunk, and we bought it. Flew that for the next 33 years! I was in love! Aeros, strip flying, visiting fly-ins etc in this wonderfully characterful fine-handling machine was just what I needed to stay in the game. I did do the occasional Le Touqet for lunch trips in a spammy, but quite honestly bumbling along for several hours straight and level seemed to me to be a very expensive way to get bored. But some seem to like it.

Flew a Yak 52 for a few years as well (too thirsty for me, but great fun otherwise). And I loved the basic Cub - could go for one of those now if I could find a share on a strip.

As I said - what floats your boat?