PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loading 44G drums into a c208
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2014, 12:42
onetrack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
44 gallon drums? Ahem, you mean 200 litre drums (or 55 U.S. gallon barrels to our friends in the states.)
I'm guessing physical lifting equipment such as a Kevrek crane is not readily available? And I guess they're on the ground, too?

If you can get them and keep them on the back of a tray top vehicle and load from that into the 208, you have the advantage of keeping the drums at the same height, thus removing any need for lifting.

Otherwise, rolling them up a ramp is the only way of getting them from ground level to 208 floor height. Make sure you have good footing.
A couple of lightweight alloy loading ramps will suffice, but they need to be secured in position, either at top or at the bottom.
Don't forget to carry an old small diameter car tyre to unload the drums on.
Roll them out the door and onto the tyre and it will prevent drum damage such as splitting and serious dents.

It's a good idea to have a helper. I've seen a bloke who could lift 44's straight off the ground, full, and into the back of a ute - but he was about 5' 10", had a chest like a barrel, weighed about 22 stone (140kgs) - and he had hands like hams.
A full 44 of petrol weighs around 155kgs with the current "lightweight" drums.