PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Travel Insurance - Best Policies?
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2014, 12:09
Anansis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Insurance - Best Policies?

Hi Folks,

It's come to that time of the year where I need to renew my travel insurance policy. Over the years I've generally found that most policies offer similar coverage, no matter how much you pay, so I've generally gone for a compromise between low price and low excess. On the rare occasions where I've needed to make a claim, I've found the whole process to be so tedious and time consuming that I've never seen it through to the point of receiving compensation

This year, I've decided to see if I can find a decent policy which genuinely meets my needs. I travel pretty often so something which will cover delays and missed departures would probably be useful (I often do multi modal trips, e.g. Flight-long distance Train-Flight. It generally works but there is ample scope for things to go wrong!). I have decent camera equipment so something with a low excess and no limit on the value of goods would also be desirable. These are my main requirements.

A separate requirement is coverage in areas where FCO advises against travel. I am coming to the end of postgraduate education and envisage travelling to, and writing about, unstable countries (in the next twelve months I expect to find myself in Ukraine, Egypt, Northern Pakistan and Jordan amongst other destinations). This will be on a quasi self-employed basis. Are there any policies that would cover such travel or will I require a dedicated insurance policy?

Does anyone have any brokers or providers that they would recommend? Google has not been helpful in this endeavour.

Thanks in advance