PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What type of flying do people do after their PPL?
Old 9th May 2014, 11:05
Camargue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can only really decide what you will do once you know what you enjoy and as you get to meet people you might find a plane and budget that fits what you want

my own experience:

family/wife/friends - some liked flying more than others but none have begged to take them up so its a long time since any of them have been up with me but you can fill some hours pottering around the countryside

w/ends away
took my wife away over Easter one time couple of hundred miles away - though it would be great to beat the traffic.
weather was supposed to be great. except on Monday it wasn't. left on Tuesday morning, then had to divert and then complete later in the day. was a right pain for both us with work etc. note to self - only go for long w/e's away if you have an imc rating in a plane capable of imc (I had neither)

I knew I liked aeros. Going for a £100 burger or long distance cross country has never interested me that much, so post ppl aero's have probably accounted for 80% of my hours.

These days with kids and other hobbies, time is as much of an issue than budget so what works best for me is to hang up my flying boots between October and March. Between April and September I will typically do about 15 hours Aero's (trips are generally 35mins each) and 5 hours pottering about in spam can.
this comes to about 4k per year.