PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Daunting Types?
Thread: Daunting Types?
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2003, 16:42
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like others, I actually prefer to fly something a little more "daunting". Close to the top of my "must have" list when looking for an aircraft was that it had to be a tail-dragger. The mono-wheel that I fly is a tail-dragger to extremes.

Having said that, one thing I always try to do (in everything, but especially aviation) is respect others' choices. If someone wants to buy a share in a PA28 because they know the type and they're happy with it, that's fine by me, so long as they're going to enjoy it.

Last Sunday I flew my Europa for the first time in a few weeks (due to some maintenance issues). I had had plenty of flying practice in the meantime, including two IMC training flights in a C172 earlier that day. But even so, as I was taxying towards the run-up area, my heart was beating just a little faster than normal at the thought of getting this strange beast safely onto the ground at the end of my flight.

Of course it all went fine - just a tiny bounce on landing as the tail-wheel touched down on a bump, but definitely towards the better end of my Europa landings. But it's easy to see why people stay away from the more exotic types sometimes.

FFF
-----------