PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Investigation Report Out Boeing 737-210C Controlled flight into terrain
Old 8th May 2014, 23:48
autoflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
missed approach

Despite a few unstable approaches in thousands of airliner approaches, my F/O has never suggested a go-around. Pre-emptive action by the captain almost invariably makes such calls unnecessary, and I have never seen the situation deliberately set up in a sim. In fact, simulator time constraints usually mean such go-around calls by PNF will disrupt the program and these calls are usually avoided. Both pilots and the sim instructor/checker are aware of this deviation, but it is bad practice for the crew.
Sometimes sim PNF is discretely briefed to avoid out of configuration or go-around calls to force PF initiation of corrective measures. I can see a rare need for this, but an unwanted result can be contribution to risk of aircraft CFIT.
In fact, many airlines are unknowingly training F/Os to not make go-around calls. If it is difficult for a Canadian F/O to call and then force the issue, how much more difficult must it be for a Korean crew?

Last edited by autoflight; 9th May 2014 at 01:12.