PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots working in Canada
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2014, 23:45
lilflyboy262...2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, I would recommend doing a bit of research yourself on this topic. Have a look around on the net and see what you can dig up. A foreign pilot working in Canada seems to be a bit of a sore point here so don't always trust what you are told.
It's amazing reading a lot of the anti-foreigner posts on these boards though... when I was actually in Canada, I didn't have any of the animosity shown towards me...

It's a great country to live in once you have a job. Had the time of my life there and wish that I never left.

But in answer to your questions.

1) The IEC working holiday visa would be the easiest path for you to take. Its available to all Australians (And canadians reciprocally should they choose to use it). Upon issue, it is valid for one year for you to use it. Once "activated", it is valid for one year after that. You can then apply to extend it for another year. This option is only available to Aussie citizens. None of the other countries on this program get this chance!
So long as you are under 31 (Or is it 35?), no criminal record, and there is slots available (Limited number each year). Then you will be fine.

2) I'm guessing you have done the 150hr course? I'm not 100% sure on this licence conversion then as it is a bit different to the norm.
Your best bet is to call up TC (Or email but expect a few days for a reply) and to get the word from the horses mouth. Be careful with this though as it seems to vary from province to province.

To go about the licence conversion process, it is fairly easy.

Start by getting yourself a Canadian Class 1 medical before you leave. This will get you a number in the TC system. You should be able to find a medical examiner in Aussie that can do one. They are pretty cheap and no different to your normal Class 1.
Once you are in Canada, you will have to write a single exam for the CPL licence. It's not like in Aussie where they are all single subjects, this exam is all the subjects condensed into 1 3hr computer based exam.
I think it is called the CPAER? Something along those lines.

There is a requirement for ground school hours before you can write this exam. Your foreign licence waves this requirement so you DO NOT need ground school.

Once you have passed this, you simply go and take the CPL flight test.
You don't need to do the PPL first. Apparently the examiner can act as PiC for the flight test so a few lessons to get yourself familiar with the area and what they usually expect from the flight test and you are good to go.

3) If you get your multi engine endorsement before you go, then it will be transferred across with your licence.
For this to transfer over you must have done either of the following:- Flown 50hrs PiC OR had the ME rating issued in the last 12 months.
Unfortunately when I came over, I had neither of those so had to pay to get one done.

4) If you are made to be a rampie for 2yrs, you have picked a bad company. If you offer to do rampie for two years, I will find you, and I will hurt you.
Some will tear your CV up if you even suggest the above.
You will struggle to find work with your hours. But if you take the time to drive around and shake hands and meet the operators, then you will find work (Sounds just like home yeah?)

5) Best to plan a trans Canada trip. Ontario is a good province to start in. East coast has a few operators that will take low time guys but most want experience... and others want a bit of French.
Get a map of Canada, research all the operators (I used pilot career center and avcanada), put them as dots on a map then buy a car and get ready to spend entire days driving to get anywhere (Again, sound like home?)
For that... you will need a canadian drivers licence, insurance and possibly an address of convenience. Have any friends or family there?

Hope all this helps.
Was one of the best times of my life. And man oh man there is some beautiful canadian women! And they love an accent