PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Transport Command Route to the Far East mid-1950's
Old 8th May 2014, 20:38
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jack, you, of all will be pleased to know that I traversed the base "Clyffe Pypard" on Tuesday this week. No sign of RAF habitation left that I could see, from your description perhaps a good thing. The Goddards Arms is still there, but not open as we passed, or we would not have passed (try getting two 60+ year old ex Herc GEs past an open pub). Especially as to get to the airfield we needed to do the equivalent of ascending the North face of the Eiger, that hill is a killer. Anyone who has supped at the Goddards Arms, and returned to his billet on RAF Clyffe Pypard has my full respect. From what I read the Northgate brewery was bought by Wadworths and went from strength to strength. This link will explain perhaps History of Brewers in Devizes Wiltshire

As for routes to the East by RAF transport aircraft, My own experience comes from being a C130 AGE from 1988 to 1995 ish. First night stop was usually Akrotiri (except that up to GW1, AKR closed to Herks on a Sunday so we usually night stopped Cairo), it was then a flag Bahrain for Columbo and points East. The chaps journey on the post I linked was a real adventure, and must have been bloomin hard work for the Air Engineer and crew, who usually did their own engine changes down route in those days. What luxury when the AGE came along, bloomin "hangars on"

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 8th May 2014 at 20:50.