PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU Vat ramp check on N reg
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2014, 19:53
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EU Vat ramp check on N reg

I understand that EU countries may ramp check N Reg aircraft while touring to make sure VAT has been paid on the aircraft at the time of import. Also GAR forms have a checkbox where you state either yes or no as to whether VAT has been paid, I am planning on doing some flying in France this summer on an N reg which was imported into the UK but was exempt from VAT under the rule that I was a UK citizen returning from living abroad and bringing with me my personal vehicle/vessel that I had owned and used overseas for a period of time prior to import. The only paperwork I have is a Notice of Arrival and a copy of the form I gave the shipper saying the import was exempt. The problem I have is twofold, 1. When filling out the GAR if I check the vat paid box, I am lying, if I check the NO box I,d imagine French customs would be on my back like a cheap suit. 2. If I get ramp checked and inform them no VAT was paid as under the UK scheme none was owed they could respond with "your not in the UK now so park it up till the Vat is paid"

Anyone else had this issue and if so how did you resolve it?