PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Generators/Alternators in commercial and GA
Old 8th May 2014, 18:29
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When it comes to electrical power production, I try to have a completely separate mindset for turbine stuff and piston stuff.

Starting with the piston stuff, if it has a generator, it is the old DC type that needed a somewhat higher rpm to produce current and it is DC current. Installed on the old aircraft. If the piston aircraft has an alternator, it is a modern AC device using a different method to create current. Of course there are likely some exceptions but that is my general rule.

On turbines, the main power sources are all called generators. Starter-Generators on PT-6 turboprops and the generators we see on airliners. I think of them all as AC power producers even though they have the same name as used before on the piston stuff. On the big airliners, you have them producing power for AC systems and then a TR for DC requirements. I suppose on many of the turboprops, they create AC initially but are use an inverter to DC.

Of course you can have alternators on a turboprop. The HS748 had the standard generators changed to DC current and separate alternators for some AC anti-icing capabilities.

So in the end, think of DC generators on the little guys and AC generators on the big guys and alternators on modern little guys.

Last edited by JammedStab; 8th May 2014 at 21:03.