PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Pilots refuse to operate flights due to SARS
Old 29th Apr 2003, 15:53
mutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rsoman

nobody has come up here as far as I can see the extra protective measures other airlines are taking which Air India is not including the Air India pilot Union, IPG? Why not?
RIYADH, 16 April 2003 — Saudi Arabian Airlines has indefinitely suspended flights to Singapore over fears of the spread of the deadly Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) virus, a spokesman said yesterday.

“Saudia has suspended its flights to Singapore because of SARS as of yesterday. The suspension will continue until the World Health Organization (WHO) declares Singapore free of the disease,” the spokesman said. Saudia operates two flights weekly from Jeddah to Singapore.

They also issued facemasks to all passengers to other Asian destinations; this was later revised to just for the crew on arrival. Note they don’t fly to China, Hong Kong or Vietnam. I also believe that the Saudis banned Singapore Airlines flights to the Kingdom.

As for the IPG, well it looks as if the management is getting some government support.
NEW DELHI, 29 April 2003 — The Indian government has initiated a process in consultation with the Labor Ministry for declaring the undeclared strike by Indian Pilots Guild(IPG) as “illegal” and take necessary action against its members, Minister for Civil Aviation Syed Shahnawaz Hussain told Lok Sabha today. Etc etc etc…. http://www.arabnews.com/Article.asp?ID=25688

Mutt.