PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky wins Presidential helo competition
Old 8th May 2014, 16:14
Stinger10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HL

At least you acknowledge that this had little to do with the best or most appropriate product for the job, and has MUCH to do with US politics....

When certified in 2004, the S-92 was the first (and only) rotorcraft in the world certified by the FAA to FAR Part 29 Transport Rotorcraft, Amendment 47, at the time the latest US safety regulations, as well as the equivalent European Aviation Safety Agency/Joint Aviation Authorities (EASA/JAA) standards, so would you care to inform us of any other helicopters considered for the VXX competition which are either equal to, or newer in certification compliance than the S-92A?
I don't believe I qualified my statement about aircraft "bidding for the VXX", but since you mention it, every combat helicopter qualified, including the maligned but battle proven AW-101, has to qualify a level of run dry capability for the MGB in case of battle damage.

Also, as the First FAR Part 29 qualified aircraft, its interesting they chose to bypass the run-dry test for the S-92 in lieu of paperwork. However, several FAR part 29 and 27 aircraft have met or exceeded the 30 min run dry test. AW139, AW189 (50 min), AW169 (pending), AIRBUS EC-175,NH-90 (Military), EC-145T2, Bell 429, Bell 525 (pending) just to name a few.......

Why would they put the Pres. of the US in a helicopter that hasn't proven a basic capability resident in the rest of the FAR 29/27 commercial and combat helicopter fleet? I am confident the Navy will pick up the tab to ensure the S-92 develops the capability tho.....

I don't think asking legitimate questions regarding what is being widely reported is Anti-Sikorsky. I just think that when a DoD supplier keeps getting non-competed contract awards (after all competition is a condition, and not a label that gets applied), and for this vendor its constant (Navy MH-60s, USAF CRH, CH-53K, and VXX), you end getting shortchanged in terms of quality and price. Much like the US car companies in the 70's when they were protected from competition. It wasn't until barriers were removed, and true competition took place did market factors take over. Ultimately US car companies were forced to produce a better product at a better price (FACT). Same applies here.