PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dambusters - 21:00 - channel 4
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2003, 14:27
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Did most British bombers at the time have only one pilot? If so, why?

Did the RAF decide throughout the war that an injured and/or overworked solo pilot would not jeopardize the mission or the crew's chances of making it home? It must have been a huge workload (autopilot almost always operational...), even in good weather with a fairly easy target. I don't know, maybe the four-engine bombers had relatively experienced pilots. It can be challenging for us to continue in our old twin-turbofan planes if the auto- pressurization fails, IF the FO volunteers to do it after I suggest on climbout that we could turn around, with his eyes and hands on the system for most of the flight: even in good weather, with no flak (Flieger Abwehr Kanone) or engines catching on fire while an electrical system is going out.

I read an excellent article on a very fast, heavily armed British twin-engine plane (not the Mosquito), which was at least once used against ships in Norway's steep fjords, but forgot the name. The plane was not the most attractive (similar to a smaller He-111), but what speed and firepower! The Beaufighter?!

Some very unique films are unearthed at times on the Discovery 'Wings' Channel over here.

Last edited by Ignition Override; 29th Apr 2003 at 14:40.