PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigeria kidnapping-UK mil to be involved.
Old 7th May 2014, 21:51
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV news driven tonight.

Agree with just about all above. Yes I started it a little tongue in cheek, but it was pushed hard by ITN tonight by their reporter (Rageh Omar, apologies for bad spelling of name but I cant be bothered to look it up-I never liked the man). I find it amazing that we could be even partially involved because of the news reports have pushed the Govt. to make a response and make them seen to be do something-for the sake of good TV. Are they serious? Are they saying the UK involvement has to assist in finding, and possibly assaulting this relatively unknown "enemy" force.The UK Military is too small, too far away and frankly too insignificant to have an rapid effect here. Is this not the point when a SO should step in and halt this nonsense? I'm showing an interest in this because back in about 2009 I took part in an exercise where we and others formed up for some war playing , Joint NATO and bit of everything but focused on amphib. One of the scenarios was to recapture a large holiday complex that had been taken by a terrorist organisation. the region was within the Eastern Med etc. Well, the whole thing was a shambles (its true, as a worms eye viewer it was a shambles) and it brought home to me how much we had declined as a force and how little we would really achieve if this ever occurred for real. those times are behind the UK.I'm sure there's a few on here know the time and place I'm on about. And now it appears our leaders seem to be pushing for something even harder, even further away, with less and less material and actual people. Maybe it will come to nothing for our side, I truly hope so.