PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FTE Jerez Instructor Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2014, 20:32
porridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Integrated ATO's a viewpoint

IMHO The problems with these integrated schools are manifold and many. However, these are not unique to the Flight Training Industry at the entry level
1. In the first place their overheads are high as regulators require numerous mandatory post holders and these highly paid persons do little else to contribute to the productivity of the business because of the reluctance of large organisations to multi-skill personnel as many jobs could be done in conjunction with others. Examples are Senior Personnel being reluctant to sully their hands at the coal face. I recall at another well known ATO some years ago that while the primary Instructors were working hard, one individual in “standards” managed only to fly 40 hours in 12 months! It was common knowledge that his skills at computer games were improved at the expense of a good salary and the rest of the work force. There are these kinds of people who seem adept at avoiding real work are common to all organisations and this consequently leads to resentment among the core labour force.
2. Accountants with little experience or knowledge of the core business of the enterprise make poor CEO’s as they lack the vision to move the company forward and innovate (think about people like Steve Jobs who was not an accountant). I would also say that in the main pilots do not make good CEO’s either (perhaps with the exception of people like Walsh of BA). Ideally a mix of good leadership skills, clear understanding of the core business with vision whilst maintaining a keen eye on the bottom line is essential in any industry. It is little wonder that in Germany that CEO’s are Engineers and Professionals, not accountants!
3. Unfortunately these large ATO’s seem to think they can enhance their image by the amount and value of executive company cars and associated perks. Large and well paid Marketing Departments and a good sprinkling of exotically named executives like: “Director of Strategic BS”, “Director of Media Spin” seem de rigueur in today’s industry.
4. The cost of operating some of these ATO’s is such that the temptation is for companies to engage in Ponzi type practices as was seen by likes of the late unlamented Scabair. Like those who get suckered in by Ponzi schemes are they are same poor suckers and their parents who will sacrifice hard earned cash for a dream that may not be matched by reality in the market place of Aviation jobs. It is little wonder that only a small proportion of “wannabees” ever succeed to making a lifetime, well-paid, success in an aviation career. The whole ethos of these integrated ATO’s is based on a significant through-put of people to fund the operation whilst providing poor quality training and education. Only those who are well-connected or exceptionally dedicated and driven will gain subsequent employment and rewards that bear a relation to the cost outlay. It is little wonder that training Captains are lamenting the poor quality of knowledge and piloting skills by persons being trained by these much vaunted ATO’s. Even in my own experience I have come across such people, have not made the cut for an Airline job come to become FI’s where the lack of knowledge, situational awareness and fundamental understanding is such that I have seen better in humble PPL’s.
In summary all these ATO’s will have improve productivity and provide a better education instead of the apparent common denominator to just churn out flight crew fodder for maximum profit at the lowest cost. If they do not they will not survive in the modern world. Or perhaps I am wrong, but any organisation that is striving to do this properly has a better chance of surviving than those who seem to exist due to a previous brand name and marketing hype and continuous takeover’s by large corporate conglomerates. Where this leaves FTE I cannot comment, but the adage “adapt or die” has serious implication for all of them.