PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2014, 20:22
dragon man

Received 605 Likes on 173 Posts
I would appreciate some input from those with greater knowledge than me on the subject of utilisation . Some off the back of an envelope figures would seem to show the 380s flying approx 13 hours a day average for 2 Aust UK returns 2 Aust USA returns and 3 Hong Kong returns a week. By removing it from the Hong Kong services you free up approx 60 hours a week but against that 6 Dallas services a week will add approx 180 hours a week for a net fleet gain of 120 hours a week or 12 hours per airframe per week or approx 1.5 hours per day. This would seem to push the daily utilisation to approx 14.5 per day per airframe. Now, my question is that this seems extremely high. Qantas did this once before in the late 80s with the 747s and it was a disaster. You need huge engineering capacity to do it , it didn't work then and will it be any different now? Personally I doubt it, I'm not bashing the 380 I just can't see Qantas been able to support this sort of daily utilisation and feel that it will cause many delays and substitutions. Your thoughts will be appreciated.