PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots working in Canada
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2014, 16:49
vonsnrub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australian pilots working in Canada

Hi, I'm a 21 year old Australian just about to sit my CPL test and am exploring the possibility of moving to Canada to seek employment. Just wondering if anyone can give me their experience or advice on these matters.

1) How to I obtain the right to legally work in Canada (temporarily or permanently)?
2) How do I transition my license (also, I have 70hrs PIC which is the Australian CPL minimum, do I need 100hrs as that's the Canadian minimum)?
3) Is it worth getting my Multi-Engine Instrument rating/ float plane (bush course) endorsement here or would I be better off getting that in Canada?
4) Do I stand much of a chance getting employment without any work experience and being foreign (I wouldn't mind doing 2 years ramp work prior)?
5) I've read that employers there like to physically meet you rather than read your resume, where is a good hub to set up shop while I look for work i.e. Yellowknife, Edmonton?

I have read through a lot of forums and done some research on transitioning licenses, obtaining work permits etc I'd just really appreciate some first hand experience, especially from anybody who has done something similar. Thanks