PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West London Flying Schools - Aircraft Age
Old 7th May 2014, 08:40
Baikonour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heston wrote
Next time you go on holiday to Spain are you going to ask the travel agent or holiday company how old the aircraft are that they use?
Another inappropriate analogy, I think, for the main reason that I (apart from never travelling mass tourism to Spain!) travel with a commercial airliner to get from A to B. Which is not why I choose to engage in GA. Apart from that, I do actually tend to look at the plaque in the door frame as I enter - although it is too late by then.

Regardless, if you cast a small eye on airlines' advertisements, you will often see that they refer to terms such as 'the most recent fleet', 'best lie-flat bed available' and similar. Not for nothing that airlines queue up to be the first to fly new aircraft and, indeed that they adjust their prices for new aircraft - and people are willing to pay it!

A and C wrote
However having met a few customers of flying clubs various I can only conclude that they are happy to fly under maintained death traps if it saves them a quid or two.
Quite. But not everyone - as this thread shows. Schools should try to cater for all - not just the lowest common denominator.

500ft wrote
If you are willing to pay a premium, I think perhaps you should consider trying to find a better condition aircraft rather than seeking out the newer air frames.
Agree. Age may not be the issue. Assuming they are all flightworthy and well maintained, we really are talking outer (and inner) appearances. And, of course, new avionics.

The same PPLers who may end up wanting to fly a glass cockpit after getting their license would probably benefit from - and be willing to pay for - doing (part of?) their training on a glass cockpit...

"Don't worry about setting fire to a 152, Mary, there's plenty more where that came from!"
Now there's a solution to the problem...

Baikonour