PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West London Flying Schools - Aircraft Age
Old 7th May 2014, 08:17
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500ft Kiwi, spot on! Two memories rise to the surface.

Because I started flying at the advanced age of 50 (just last year! ((not))) I had a really hard time getting the knack of landing. Which is sort of important. If you can't get the last bit right.....

So visiting family in Maryland, I booked a lesson at an airstrip near the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. The strip ran N/S. The prevailing wind was E/W.
The instructor owned the Cessna 152, a relatively new and shiny one.

If I had trouble approaching into wind, imagine the problem learning to land in a crosswind! Every time I got near the ground, the instructor took over. Understandable in the circumstance, but didn't do a lot for my confidence.

So Kiwi, I remember at High Wycombe, when before even leaving the apron, I managed to overprime the engine. Serious smoke arose around us, the instructor grabbed the extinguisher (does everyone reading this know where the fire extinguisher is located?) and asked me to go into the office. I walked quickly but calmly into the office of the Wycombe Scare Centre, and announced "We have an engine fire."

It was like stirring up an ants nest, everyone started running this way and that. The fire was put out. The instructor and I continued the lesson in another Cessna 152. And when I was telling about it later in the bar, Dave Richardson said "Don't worry about setting fire to a 152, Mary, there's plenty more where that came from!"