PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX want a fight, why?
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2014, 18:43
Shep69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While plans for a tactical strategy certainly belong somewhere else it is NOT 1999. There might be some similarities (especially amongst the negotiation by the company--or complete lack thereof) but the situation has dramatically changed.

1. The company LOST the lawsuit for wrongful termination as it will going forward so there is precedent.

2. A number of judgments have been subsequently made regarding many labor issues (including SHP for the cabin crew and other labour issues) and in ALL of them the company has lost. We can argue amounts and how the wheels of justice grind slowly but most law is based on precedent which exists now.

3. Workers have seen a continuous decline in $$$, rosters, a continuous increase in inflation, and a continuous increase in work--this can't be portrayed as a 74 hour "A scaler" sitting on the beach in Monte Carlo anymore. Moreover, more of the flying public is seeing pilots as being working professionals who aren't overpaid to make important decisions. One need look no further than the Malaysian incident to see how much scrutiny, responsibility, and trust is placed in crews. in In fact, reactions to some high profile accidents have shocked some of the public in how little starting pilots are paid. So the "prima donna" factor ain't there anymore.

4. Most importantly, the company--being a capital intensive operation--is facing substantial new equipment orders at the same time it faces increased competitive pressures that didn't previously exist in a protected market that ain't protected anymore. So parking jets as it's just turning profitable is something it (despite it's bravado) can't afford. It MUST keep the jets flying if it is to survive. AND the lead time to train new replacements is significant at a time the training department is maxed out simply trying to fill cockpits. So it can't afford massive firings or industrial action. In terms of war chest, the financial position ain't what it was in 1999 to support a major operation would it occur.

The AOA has significant cards in it's hand so long as it doesn't fold--and one would hope can go "all in" if it becomes necessary. I hope ALCON understand this--including those who SHOULD be negotiating as adults for the Company. And hopefully those who would be selfish can manage to consider something beyond their boat payments when looking at the larger view. The decisions made in the next few months will affect profitability and livelihoods for years.

If the situation were to worsen for whatever reason, when your grandkid asks you "Where were you during the big strike of 2014 ?" I'd HATE to have to answer him "ummmm...I was working G days to pay off my yacht."