PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2014, 00:02
Cat Funt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying to keep things on-thread as much as possible, we should not forget that this current pause is precipitated by a failure not of the volunteers but of the structures and processes put in place by the professionals who are supposed to be supporting them.

For what it's worth, I'm with Leon on the need to reform- just about everyone I know is. I'm on the staff of a VGS and, broadly speaking, we welcome the changes that are being made. I also hope that with the new regime and change in culture that the VGSs will finally be given the support they need to implement these changes so that they can operate iaw with the diktats from upon high.

If precedent is anything to go by, I'm not optimistic, though. I have a sense that more regulation and admin will get dumped upon unpaid volunteers whose resources of time, talent, enthusiasm and goodwill are finite and, as always, we will be told to crack on. We will, as always, do the best we can to address what's being thrown at us, but without more people and better parenting, there's a good chance we will not succeed. It's already commonplace for even relatively junior staff to be giving up 25-30 hours a week in addition to their full time jobs, and it's now being suggested that the adjutant post is a non-flying post. It takes a special brand of masochist to sit in an office for free, doing what is essentially a second full-time job, so other people can go flying.

We've done a fairly good job of weeding out the numpties and the cowboys in recent years, but without adequate support the best, most committed people will sack it and those left behind will be the Walts and the strutting throbbers who are in it for the growbag and the rank slides and who don't give a cowpat with a cherry on top about what the TGOs have to say.