PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Transport Command Route to the Far East mid-1950's
Old 5th May 2014, 22:45
Davita

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember I did a trip on a Hastings as a ground-crew member of a Canberra squadron from RAF Binbrook. It was just before the Suez crisis.
The Hastings picked us up at Binbrook and I'm fairly sure it was Luqa, El Adem, Habbaniya, Mauripur, Negombo and Butterworth in Malaya; where we started our communist bombing detachment.

Whilst there Nasser closed the Suez and we were returned...I was one of the G.Es that travelled in the back of the Canberra as support. I think we did Habbaniya-Akrotiri-Binbrook but my recollection is clouded as I was nearly imprisoned for not declaring a cheapie watch I'd bought in Penang for my Dad. I wouldn't be surprised if that customs officer is still wearing the watch he confiscated.

We were very quickly turned around and sent to base in Malta and bomb the airfields in Egypt. I again went in the rumble seat as tech and, because the Nav Bomber had to climb over me to get to the bombsight in the nose, and my trade was Inst Fitt and knew the bombsight well...I was allowed to do some bomb-drops...which I kept wishing was on the custom's shed at Binbrook.

Last edited by Davita; 9th May 2014 at 00:40. Reason: thanks to ian16th...slip of the pen corrected.