PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Transport Command Route to the Far East mid-1950's
Old 5th May 2014, 19:07
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I came across this on the RAF forum, which might help. I'm off for a walk around the old RAF Clyffe Pypard tomorrow, did a bit of research, and found this post re a trip to the East by Hastings;

"After a week at Insworth being kitted out with KD etc about half a dozen of us were bussed out to Clyffe goodness knows why as we spent the rest of the day lounging about.I seem to remember we took a walk outside the camp to see what was around there;nothing to see no one about and didn't come across any sign of civilisation.

Next morning we were bussed over to Lyneham and boarded a Hastings;they had to clear the snow off the wings this being November so the winter was arriving and we were departing.First stop was Luqa where we had to stay a couple of days because of an engine change.Next stop Fayid arriving in the early hours of the morning.On a bus again to El Hamra ;all the way we could hear gunfire and see lots of searchlights;our arrival in hell !!!

Happily only a week spent here then on to Habbaniya via Mafraq and then to Mauripur.

cheers

jhy"

I'm sure many will know where these stops were, I hope someone can enlighten me, the Alberts used to go a bit further before stopping for a few beers.

Smudge