PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2014, 07:47
007helicopter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And having done hundreds of pfl' s as an instructor I wouldn't think twice about not pulling it.
For me the big thing with PFL's is I understand essential in a non BRS aircraft and an essential skill for us all to practice but:

a) They never actually practice the final critical stage of actually landing off airport.

b) As an instructor how many have you said something along the lines of, that was not to good, have another go?

c) A lot easier with an instructor doing a practice, or several practices than the real life adrenalin pumping scenario of an unexpected problem.

d) I would not trust my family to fly with anyone who had the more Macho mentality of doing forced landing in fields rather than use the safer option of the chute. (If they were in a cirrus)

When I first started flying Cirrus my mentality was to land in a filed in an emergency rather than use the Chute, this only changed after about 2 years of ownership and when I studied more fatal accidents and did more training with far more experienced people than I will ever strive to be.