PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2014, 17:46
BOING

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too seem to have joined the ranks of the serially modded but I would like to repeat one observation in the hope that it would help the investigation, perhaps some of our mathematical types would care to comment or at least be given the opportunity to do so.

It appears to me that when the aircraft left its initial projected position near the Andamans it flew either an FMS track to the geographic South Pole or a heading to the magnetic South Pole.

This hypothesis fits with the Inmarsat proposed routes, in fact the two tracks bracket the Inmarsat based search areas.

Initially, although I was sceptical about the choice of the southern route I believed that the Inmarsat arc calculations were correct. This left my concern that the proposed Inmarsat southern route took the aircraft near to the WA coast and it did not seem a likely route for someone who wished to hide an aircraft crash.

Now, if we consider the mindset of someone who wished to simply "lose" an aircraft why not first head west to throw searchers off the trail and then head south to a desolate area and a tidy pilot would likely head due south. This route seems to be, in a way, a logical choice, it explains why the aircraft flew a track approaching the WA coast and it fits with the Inmarsat projections.

A consideration of this hypothesis may help reduce the size of the search areas.

Any comments.