PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Players in the pprune stable
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2014, 09:49
dubbleyew eight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yr right you are missing my point.

in the RAAF the aircraft are owned by the government and maintained for government purposes. so the government supplies as much money as is needed to do this.

they aren't called LAME's in the RAAF they are Hydraulics technicians, airframe fitters, avionics fitters, electrical fitters etc.

The RAAF is an environment where the pilots don't own aircraft and don't ever work on them so when the ex-raaf were called on to regulate civilian aviation they had absolutely no experience with ownership, no experience with maintenance and you can see this reflected in the australian legislation.
in fact it is evident in the regulations of all countries where the ex military aviators were employed to create the regulations for civilian aviation.

in this country we have the concept of private ownership.
if you steal something privately owned by someone else you will be fined or go to prison for the misdeed.
we allow aircraft to be privately owned in this country.
an INALIENABLE right of private ownership is the right to use, to enjoy and to maintain the items privately owned.
why isn't this reflected in australian aviation law?
simple.
the people who drafted the laws have no experience with private ownership.
private ownership in aviation is a totally unknown experience for most of them.

canadian owner maintenance regulations if introduced here in australia wouldn't mean the end of LAME's.
what it would end though is secrecy surrounding all the owner maintenance that goes on now and will continue to go on.

you say that I should sit all the exams and become a LAME.
why?
all I want to do is maintain my own aeroplanes.
I have no use for the detailed knowledge of systems not in my aircraft.
I can assure you that I can maintain my own aeroplane. I've been doing it for over 10 years now.

the malaise in the aviation is not caused by private owners.
it is caused by stupidly framed legislation gradually making everything impossible.