PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing Climb Limit Weight
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2014, 08:22
john_tullamarine

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts
This lower dispatch weight presented by the OP is NOT technically the 'approach climb limit weight'

Can't comment on 777 specific weights as I have no data to hand upon which to base any comment. However, the point is that BOTH limits have to be satisfied for any planned operation. Whichever happens to be more limiting becomes the limiting weight on the specific occasion. I wouldn't sweat too much on the terminology .. the AFM gives the WAT limit and the pilot is obliged not to operate above it. Different strategies may apply if a technical problem occurs mid flight.

The presented weight evidently includes an additional penalty for the gear drag over and above the 'approach climb limit weight' as defined in the regs

Again, I don't have the AFM so I can't talk numbers.

However, IF we are talking about despatch with a gear problem (ie MEL exercise) then the approach climb has to be met for OEI, gear down so one would expect a significantly reduced limit. This has naught to do with the landing limit case (AEO, gear down) but BOTH have to be considered and the more limiting is the one which rules.

So the limit is non-normal specific

Absolutely . .but, if we are talking despatch per MEL then we are doing the approach climb thing with gear DOWN rather than UP.

Less and less info seems to be making its way into the FCOMs these days

ah .. that started in the olden days when the bean counters and legal eagles started to outnumber the operational folks at board level.

You land overweight because you have to, possibly even short of your intended destination (where all the dispatch fuel figures actually apply)....regardless of the number of operative engines

Only if you don't have an alternative option .. eg holding. The point is .. it is silly just to consider AEO for inflight replanning and, for despatch you must consider both (or, rather, the MEL should be doing that for you either explicitly or by directed instruction). Not all that different to having an abnormal/emergency diversion .. one doesn't use an inadequate length runway if there is a reasonable, acceptable length alternative.

we were so obsessed with the term "Landing Climb" thinking that "Approach Climb Limit Weight" will be given in another table/section.

Think WAT limit and perhaps that will make it easier to follow for the logic ?

Boeing's FCOM just presents one table with the name "Landing Climb Limit Weight" which covers both Landing Climb and Approach Climb.

Which is all that is required. Whether the climb limit is the approach or the landing WAT case doesn't really matter .. you MUST comply with both other than in an emergency situation.