PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQUIRREL CRASH CHETWYND 20 APR
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2014, 16:38
timfin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teeteringhead

Apologies accepted for gracious response. Thank you.

I will say that too many comments are ill-educated on this crash, or any other I suspect (MH370).

The aftermath of the crash was actually quite entertaining. Monty Python would have had a field day. The CFS Instructor was picked up by Wessex and taken to hospital and (alas) his back injury prevented him from flying again. Lesson: Before impact brace!! The ambulance from Ternhill pitched up but couldn't take me to Shawbury because it was near the driver's off-duty time (Civilian). So I hitched a ride from a passing Gazelle by waving my arms in the middle of an empty Chetwynd beside a smoldering heap of metal.

ATC took the crashed Gazelle letter V down but it was read incorrectly by Ops so by the time I got back to CFS they were about to launch the Duxford Wing in search of a solo student on a low-level nav sortie in Wales. And the lack of comms you mentioned afterwards was an unfortunate episode. Anyhow, CFS had a great evening in the Station pub that night and, as a result, the Board of Inquiry had to start a day late.

The local press got the story completely wrong in every possible way. Which only goes to show that "One should be careful to believe one's own Press."

Blue skies and tailwinds All.