PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2014, 21:54
Rigga

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure who said this:
"The military now lives in a world where if you need something done quickly and effectively, you step outside the military framework and get it cleared the civilian route!!

We deployed a UOR to Afghan totally bypassing Boscombe because it was the only way to get the capability to theatre inside a decade and a billion dollars..

How crazy is it that the civvys can pretty much glue anything they want to an airframe and the military cannot!!

The fact is that whatever UOR you installed without Boscombe's advice is likely to be undone at the soonest possible opportunity because it is...NOT AIRWORTHY. The mere fact that it currently works does not make it airworthy.

The main reason that MOD can't do this work unaided is simply because...THEY CAN'T DO IT.

The above collection of statements utterly supports Chug's & Tuc's fully justified drive to get a properly qualified and independently operating MAA...as opposed to the one masquerading as an aviation authority in Bristol today.

In my limited experience of working with one rather significant IPT they were severely understaffed, totally unqualified and generally incompetent in their designated tasks.

Those that were held responsible for the Maintenance Schedule had no concept of what was required - I considered their whole department as "Document holders" rather than Schedule Managers. They'd done no reviews in at least five years and their Data was a mess. Literally, they were a bunch of "City Fathers" sitting around clumps of desks waiting for their pensions. I remember one particularly pathetic Sqn Ldr who literally couldn't/wouldn't talk to me without a support crowd behind him.

It took me just 6 months to convince their (AOC's) bosses of the mess their most dependant data was in and for them pay "us civvy's" to take it off them. (£6m for the initial investigation, I believe)
It took a further two years to clean the triplicated "records" that were handed over.

I will stop before I go too far...Red Wine, and all that, leading to Red Mist.