PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ramp Jobs
Thread: Ramp Jobs
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2014, 21:28
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunkdriver has summed up what is wrong with flight training very well.
When retirees from the heavy metal decided to "put something back", they were in many cases so fed up with what is being taught that they simply quit.
When I decided to start a flight training school in 1986 as a semi retirement business I went to Transport Canada's top bureaucrat in my region to ask for guidance in how best to set up a FTU.

When he asked me my background I outlined my career up to than point in time and said I had been a flight instructor in the fifties and early sixties and that I enjoyed teaching.

He asked me what I had been doing since I let my instructors rating lapse and I went through it in detail including that I had been teaching fire bombing for ten years.

He looked at me and said that it was going to be very difficult for me to re qualify as a flight instructor because I had formed to many ideas about flying and would have to be reprogrammed to their way of doing things.....

.....I was gobsmacked and thought he was just kidding me....

...he was serious and I thought oh well they all can't be morons so I went ahead and got the FTU-OC and started a school.....

......what a mistake that was because the longer I ran the school the more difficult it became to keep it running as I found out he was right....I could not get to the point that I could pass a re ride for my instructors rating so after seven years I sold the school.

.......every day I thank God I never decided to learn things their way because my life now would be very boring living with the frontal lobotomy I would have needed to think like them.

Funny thing about the teaching thing, once I got rid of the FTU I went on my own and ended up being one of the highest paid flying teachers in the world.

Had to leave Canada to do it though but at least I earned enough money to live very comfortable in my old age.

And even more importantI still have all my brain left rather than only about the ten percent that I would have had left had I entered their world.