PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - P41 kittyhawk
Thread: P41 kittyhawk
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2014, 21:04
Peter-RB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Uncle Tom was killed flying a P40, he was a test pilot out of RAF Sealand(Chester) or it could have been Hawarden?, it seems the engine seized and he didn't have enough height to reach flat ground, as he was over the very built up town of Bolton Lancashire on his way back from a Liverpool bay, Preston Bolton back to base prior to handing the AC over to go out to Africa the next week or so.

When I found out more detail I asked the Bolton Local Newspaper would they run the story so I could possibly find anyone who witnessed the crash, I was inundated with guys around the 68 to 80 years of age who had seen the demise of my Uncle, the tales they told were all vastly different from each other but they all remembered the sound of the actual crash and then silence, it was rather upsetting when I revealed this to his two brothers, one of them my father who was in North Africa at the time of this incident and the other just going to the senior school prior to joining the RAF ( he finished up in 617 Sqdn )with my old man in 272 Sqdn in North Africa and then Italy,

I now look after my Uncles war grave along with about six others that were in a bit of a state.

Peter R-B
Lancashire