PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQUIRREL CRASH CHETWYND 20 APR
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2014, 17:18
timfin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GAZELLE CRASH CHETWYND 1980

I have just read this from TeeteringHead.

What you have written is only about 40% true. This was a demonstration during the QHI Course Gazelle conversion phase of an accelerated spot turn in the hover at Chetwynd. It was being flown by one of the CFS Instructors who was highly-experienced and a super-nice guy. The demonstration was perfectly legal at the time. In short, the fenestron tail rotor failed in a flat spot turn and the end result was a spiraling impact with the ground. The CFS Instructor was badly hurt and the student was unscathed. Both occupants were very lucky. Aerospatiale took this scenario back to testing and discovered that the breakaway should have been better trialed during initial testing.

How should I know all this? Because I was the student QHI in question and 4 hours into the conversion course. If you would like to verify all this then look up the RAF Accident Report and you will find it all there.

So before you start sending out misinformation, I would suggest that you consider the facts carefully before committing them to print. Also, you clearly have some underlying issue with authority because you never got there yourself. Either that or some mean compulsive disorder. Oh, and the CFI at Ternhill was also a good man. How you besmirch his character. .