PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manifold Pressure R22
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2014, 13:51
topendtorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if the troll who asked the question to get this thread going is still pondering the contradiction of his question. Certainly the latest question would be beyond his power management comprehension as would his handle, which requires finesse with power.

I have fiddled with MAP / weight and it depends entirely on how smooth the pilot is. With dedication in a '47 you will lift 100 pounds extra vertically for every 1" MAP HOGE which will equate to around 10 horsepower. That of course requires clear airspace around the blades vortices, not lifting beside a bulky willow for example where the distraction will cost at least 1/2" extra MAP.

So if you require 23" to HOGE plus you will need just a small margin to go vertical from there say .4", then say your redline (in a G5) is 27.4" you should be able to lift 400 pounds of freight vertically as long as you can climb far enough above your obstacles (10feet) to then gain ETL without hitting your obstacles - with practice you won't drop anymore than ten feet doing that whilst maintaining RRPM and redline MAP - and do it all before the expiry of your full throttle power time limit; then there is your load to calculate your contract on.

Do the same experiment in your own R22 to come up with the numbers. If your machine cannot lift vertically from HOGE at MAX AUW, it needs to go back to the doctor or it is an extremely hot day.

You should be able to gain ETL2GO from HOGE in a 47 with either 1, 10 feet of altitude maintaining RRPM and MAP, or 2, 5 RRPM bled off whilst maintaining altitude and MAP, or 3, 1/2" MAP bled off maintaining RRPM and altitude.

In technique 2 the discipline is airspeed - RRPM -airspeed - RRPM - airspeed - ahhh - translation where power requirement starts to diminish below redline as airspeed picks up to the A/S for Minimum power, which will be your climb out A/S.
It is a secondary manoeuvre of reclaiming the RRPM by entering a very mild quickstop procedure at or just before ETL but not by losing the airspeed thus gained and then perhaps repeating the same manoeuvre until RRPM is back (where your max power is) and hey presto you have ETL2GO.

In technique 3 of course as your A/S increases you can again increase MAP as the requirement for power lessens.

Doing the exercise with me in a R22 at MAX AUW I will allow less margins all the way, I.E. about 1/3", a couple of % RRPM and 10 feet, why that's a luxury. But of course you must first be able to hover precisely, smoothly.