PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2014, 13:50
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace

Exactly so.

A good start is to ask yourself would you do the flight without a chute. If the answer is yes, you are good to go. If the answer is no, then the question is am I prepared to do the flight with the chute, because in the event of an engine failure the chute will give me an "out" which I would not have without the chute. If the answer is yes, then that is not an unreasonable basis for going - it might not suit everyone I would add, but that's another matter. If the answer is no, then you should stay on the ground.

In one sense it is a bit like flying twins. Essentially you don't prepare for an off airport landing. You don't expect to end up in the drink crossing the North Sea. In a SEP you also don't expect to have to make a forced landing with a 500 foot en route cloud base, but you know if it happens the chance of a successful outcome are in the lap of the Gods. Some will take their chances, because they perceive the risk is very small. Some will take their chances, but only with a chute, because they believe that stacks the odds a lot more in their favour.

So that leaves flights into poor weather conditions - that could be icing, thunder storms, marginal VMC, or IMC beyond your capability. The trouble with weather, just like engine failures, is that it is unpredictable. I know, I know, look at the TAFs. However, there is still a degree of uncertainty. How often have we flown on days towering CBs are forecast, but they have proved good flying days.

Therein is the problem. You fly a SEP without a chute. You assess the weather and decide that you can avoid any towering CBs and proceed with the flight. Another pilot has a SEP with a chute, and makes the same assessment, and a third pilot, also with a chute, thinks chucks it looks ok, but if it goes horribly wrong I will pull the chute. Three pilots, two different types of aircraft and they all reach the same conclusion, but for different reasons.

Inevitably there are the black and white cases. The pilot that sets off at night, in icing conditions, with IMC, without an IR and reckons, well I have a chute, that will save my neck.

The problem is I actually don't think there are many in the last category, and if there are, I am even less convinced that the chute determines whether or not they go - I think of those a large percentage will go anyway. Usually it is because of inexperience, a lack of understanding of the risks, or and inability to assess the situation correctly.

I simply don't believe there are many pilots who would knowingly put themselves in that position because of the chute, because I think most realise pulling the chute is a really big deal.

As with anything there are exceptions! They will probably find some other way of killing themselves anyway.

Enjoy your Cirrus time Pace - it is a great aircraft.

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 2nd May 2014 at 20:14.