PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:56
Danny42C

Danny continues finding bits to fill in the jigsaw.

Examining that invaluable document, F 5994, I find that on 24.2.65. I was certificated (certified ?) as a SPEC/INSTR by a W/Cdr C.I. whose signature I cannot read. As I arrived at Shawbury about four months before, it would seem that we must have been u/t and under supervision (?) for the first few months. This would have made good sense, and even more sense if I'd been sent on an Instructional Technique Course at the time. But now I remember that it was only at some later date that I was put on one of these Courses (and I think got uprated to B1).

I cannot remember where it was or for how long, only that in his "demo" lecture, a Radio Fitter Sgt caused me (whose radio technical knowledge begins and ends with the on/off button), for about five magical minutes until it faded, to understand the Function of the Intermediate Frequency in a VHF set. (He came away with a well deserved A2).

I enjoyed a small triumph of my own. It was that exercise where you pick a slip of paper out of the hat, and have to talk sensibly "without hesitation or repetition" for one minute on whatever subject is written on the paper when you turn it over. Mine was "Humour".

I got to my feet thinking furiously. Then a light lit in my brain. "Humour", I began, "is an exclusively human phenomenon - no animal can laugh", and I was away. I've always been blessed with the "gift of the gab", it was easy to develop and expand the theme, and I was in full spate when the examiner cut me off after about 45 seconds. My heart bled for some of our other Course members, whose minds went blank as soon as they were on their feet and they "froze" miserably.

Now it is my recollection that, for the whole of the time that I was at Shawbury, the School Instructors (on a rota) also provided most of the Controllers for Local and Approach in the Tower (I don't remember any radar there, although of course there were the instructional radars on the GCA School at RAF Sleap - a few miles away). But my first endorsement there was not till 19.11.65: "TWR - AC". This was a whole year after I came, so either the "two birds with one stone" policy only came into force then, or my turn simply hadn't come round (IIRC, we each did a month's "R&R" in the Tower - there being no intensity).

Now the eagle-eyed ATCs among us will have looked at the "Endorsement Abbreviations" inside the cover of their "F 5994s", and noted that my "TWR" means nothing - I suppose Local Control was what was intended ("ADC"), and Approach Control is "APP" - but what I got was "AC", which stands for "Area Control", which it most certainly was not. (This was a fate which, if not necessarily worse than death, ran it pretty close, and one which I was mercifully spared). And who had penned my endorsement ? Looks like a "S/Ldr Scott - LEO". So he must have been the "regular" SATCO, and I think have had one or two "permanent" ATCs.

On second thoughts, I checked my Form's Stationery Office code date suffix, it was "10/61", so I suppose it might have been a case of "That was Yesterday - it's All been Changed !" with the abbreviations (but there was no reason why it should).

And what did we have in the way of Classroom Aids ? On my own Course (#42 in '55), it was "Chalk and Talk", but now we had an Overhead Projector and (I seem to recall "Whiteboards" - what were they ?). I don't think we used chalk anymore, which was a pity, for with the chalk comes a blackboard duster, which could be hurled with good effect at the odd back-row student who was just dropping off. I always used to say that I didn't mind them dozing on the last period of a warm afternoon, but it was a bit much when they went to sleep on you at 0830 ! (Of course, you can't do that sort of thing nowadays, I suppose).

I remember that we got some fully exposed (opaque) X-ray film from the medics, trimmed them to OHP size, and with a small punch made very realistic diagrams of the Calvert approach lights as seen from various angles. The colours (red, green, blue and amber) on the airfield and VASI light presentations were bits of coloured sweetpapers stuck over the holes. It was quite artistic.

Apart from learning the next lecture, and then delivering it (on the age-old principle of only needing to keep one step ahead of your class), we devised practical exercises. There were, IIRC, several simulator CA/DF consoles. These were quite convincing: one instructor would stay with the student on the "tube" while another (out of sight, but linked to the "victim" by headset) would manipulate the trace.

And then there was the dreaded "Shawbury Mock", bu that can wait for another day.

G'day, all.

Danny42C.

And if you are a teacher, by your pupils you'll be taught !

PS: Gayford,

Welcome aboard ! A new (metaphorical) "Toad" in town ! Thanks for remembering me ! Now you can help me fill in the gaps; you'll have a lot in common with MPN11, I think.....D.