PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meatbombers & ex Jumper Dumpers. Help..
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2014, 23:49
mcgrath50

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
You're all probably going to jump down my throat for asking this but is the states an option, seem to be heaps of meatbombing jobs over there (I am aware of visas and green cards) Im talking strictly to get a job/build hours at a DZ.
I considered it when I was meatbombing but it was too much of a diversion from my goals so I didn't look into it. It can be possibly for a short amount of time once you get contacts from working in the industry in Australia. I don't know how you'd go without those but skydiving over there is something else entirely!

Well I live in Perth, the only JPA course is in York I believe at the cost of $1700. The only 182 I can find is at the royal aero club, Im a member and the 182 costs $345 an hour for a member private hire.
The JPA course tends to be specifically written for the drop zone you attend. Therefore most places, especially of the old school, I know of prefer you to do your JPA with them so you know the airspace and drop zone arrangements.

I don't know how much you know about the industry but basically, Skydive the beach (skydive.com.au) is relatively knew to the scene and run as a very competitive business. They now have the scale to be able to move into an area and price the older 'mum and dad' businesses out of the market. They aren't bad operators but they have definitely annoyed the old school who used to be much more collaborative and wouldn't have dreamed of setting up in someone elses patch.

That would probably be why they offer a JPA course that costs so much, they are in skydiving for the profits.

Pay it if you wish, but unless a lot has changed in the year or two since I started you are really don't have to spend that money on the JPA.

I didn't realise you were hiring the 182 through a flying club. Can you get your hands on a 206? It counts for a 182, and will be more helpful if/when you want to go to charter.