PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2014, 21:33
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jonzarno

We can all be clever by going through a persons post and taking points out of context to make an argument. I could do the same with yours but to be honest I can't be @rsed. I did read your earlier post about the operational limits and that's why I referred to the use of the chute outside of them. I really don't need you patronise me by offering to "explain" them again.

If you read my posts in their entirety without trying to jump on the slightest hint of negativity, you will see that I acknowledge the BRS system as a worthwhile device and one I'd use if I honestly thought I had to. I don't even knock the design of the aeroplane. I still ask the question though ... Why is the fatal accident rate is so high? It's not a rumour or myth as you say, it's a fact! Without looking too hard here's some stats from Wikipedia (I accept that's not a perfect source, but I don't have time to trawl for better)

Accidents and incidents[edit]

Between 2001 and September 2012 144 US-registered Cirrus SR22 aircraft crashed, resulting in 115 fatalities.[31]

In 2011 the accident record of the SR20 and 22 was the subject of a detailed examination by Aviation Consumer magazine. The review concluded that the series has an overall accident record that is better than average for light aircraft, exceeded only by the Diamond DA40 and DA42. However its fatal accident rate is much worse at 1.6 per 100,000 flight hours, placing it higher than the United States general aviation rate of 1.2 and higher than the Diamond DA40 (0.35), Cessna 172 (0.45), Diamond DA42 (0.54), Cessna 182 (0.69) and the Cessna 400 (1.0), despite the SR22's full aircraft parachute system.[32]

By 2014 the accident rate had been dramatically reduced, with a 2013 fatal rate of 1.01 per 100,000 flight hours. This was attributed to better training, particularly in when to deploy the ballistic parachute system.
The last paragraph backs up a lot of your points and I humbly acknowledge that. However, I don't accept that all of us who have other points are all wrong and you are the all knowing source when it comes to forced landing survival. There must be a reason the fatality rate is so high, but hopefully the better training has addressed it?

BPF
The Cirrus folks have been the most aggressive in establishing and promoting a comprehensive operationally focused and practical training program. The sad part is not enough Cirrus pilots are taking it which is why they are disproportionately involved in accidents.
Now that is a sensible answer to my question!

SS