PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The most unnecessary chute pull ever?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2014, 21:29
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Re the spin requirement. For airplanes not approved for intential spins, which include most light aircraft, the certification requirement is that the airplane must be recoverable after a 1 turn spin. After that there is no requirement that you will be able to recover.

A good example of this is the Grumman AA1 series aircraft. This aircraft will recover within one turn but after that the spin goes flat and recovery is impossible. There have been numerous foolish pilots that found this out the hard way.

The Cirrus has in fact demonstrated the 1 turn recovery requirements to the FAA. But they recommend going to the chute because the airplane will recover regardless of what stage of the spin it is in.

More importantly though almost all light aircraft spins occur close to the ground as a result of a poor handling in the takeoff/landing phase of flight, and often result in ground contact before a conventional recovery can be performed. Low altitude spins also almost always result in fatalities. In this scenario I would suggest an immediate chute pull is the more likely to save lives than trying to perform a conventional spin recovery

But the problem is not the presence of a chute, it is the level of competency of pilots flying all high performance piston singles. The amount of bent metal and dead pilots and passengers is in my opinion unacceptable because not enough of the pilots flying these aircraft are attaining and maintaining adequate skills.

The Cirrus folks have been the most aggressive in establishing and promoting a comprehensive operationally focused and practical training program. The sad part is not enough Cirrus pilots are taking it which is why they are disproportionately involved in accidents.

But I reiterate my bottom line is a significant number of stupid pilots and their passengers are alive today only because the Cirrus had a chute and the only smart thing the pilot did that day was pull the handle.

So again, will someone please explain to me why it would be better for general aviation to have more dead Cirrus owners ?